IMPACT - Impact of Cultural aspects in the management of emergencies in public Transport
IMPACT is a Coordination and Support Action of the European Commission.
It is investigating the essential role played by cultural factors in managing safety and security issues related to emergencies in public transport systems.
The project is aimed at analysing the different cultural behaviours for the prevention of emergencies and for the management of emergency events and post-events.
This will help improve disasters' policies and practices by taking into consideration socio-cultural and personal peculiarities, thus enhancing the overall security and resilience of European cities...
The main goals of the project are to:
These goals are reached by developing an integrated framework aimed at better understanding the needs of various cultures during disasters and emergencies.
- produce a cultural risk assessment methodology and the associated mitigation actions (in terms of response to identified cultural behaviours) for the public transport hub sector
- develop agent-based computational models to simulate and validate cultural behaviours models and cultural-specific communication solutions
- identify innovative solutions that can support public transport operators in improving the communication with passengers through dedicated messages to the different cultural groups, and other solutions to enhance the management of emergencies, considering cultural aspects
- develop dedicated multi-lingual Computer-Based Training (CBT) material and procedures for both public transport operators and first responders
- develop and disseminate best practices and policy recommendations for policy makers, regulators, municipalities and public transport operators